The Best Healthy Shrimp Tacos with cabbage slaw and creamy cilantro lime sauce. Juicy, spicy, and so easy! Cook on the stove or grill!
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 15 minutes
Provides 6-8 Tacos
FOR THE SHRIMP TACOS:
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp — peeled, deveined, and tails removed (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil — divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 to 8 corn or flour tortillas
- Garnishes: avocados — cilantro, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), lime wedges
FOR THE SLAW AND SHRIMP TACO SAUCE:
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic — peeled
- 1/2 small jalapeno — seeds and membranes removed
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest and juice of 1 large or 2 very small limes — about 2 teaspoons zest and 3 tablespoons juice
- 2 cups shredded cabbage — or slaw mix
Rinse and pat the shrimp dry, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with the chili powder, chipotle chili, cumin, and salt. Toss to coat evenly. Let rest while you prepare the shrimp taco sauce and slaw.
Prepare the sauce and slaw: In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, lime zest, and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Place the cabbage in a mixing bowl and toss with about 1/2 cup of the sauce. Add more sauce if you desire a creamier slaw, then reserve the rest of the sauce for serving.
Cook the shrimp: In a large nonstick skillet over medium high, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the shrimp and sauté just until the shrimp is cooked through and no longer translucent in the center, about 4 minutes. Do not overcook! Transfer the shrimp immediately to a plate.
Warm the tortillas (optional) and assemble the tacos: If you like, warm the tortillas in the microwave (put them in a stack and cover them with a lightly damp towel) or a 250 degree F oven while the shrimp cook. To serve, fill the tortillas with your desired number of shrimp, then top generously with the slaw, extra sauce, a squeeze of lime juice, and any other desired toppings. Enjoy immediately.
Amount per serving (1 taco (of 8), including tortilla, shrimp, and slaw) — Calories: 158, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 13g